Friday, April 30, 2010

i haven't forgotten about you

My second appointment is in 2 weeks. I felt awkward and nervous about my first appointment, but I'm actually kind of looking forward to this one.

Nate is 15 weeks old today. That's 105 days (!), which means I've been in pain for over 100 days. Now that's just ridiculous. I am so ready to get this all taken care of and over with. I'm so ready to be pain-free.

The PT gave me some homework to do before my next appointment. She put me on a waiting list for an earlier appointment, so I did the homework the next week. I had to keep track of everything I drank and every time I emptied my bladder for two days. She had asked me how many times I went to the bathroom in a day. I estimated seven. Normal is six to eight times. The two days of the homework, I went eight and nine times. I also drank over 130 ounces of fluids. That surprised me. I knew I drink a lot, but I didn't realize it was that much. (I'm not drinking quite as much now that I'm not pumping anymore.) I was also to keep track of leaks, but I didn't have any.

But back to the pain. I can tell that it is much better lately. Previously, I was soaking in a hot bath every other day and sitting on an ice pack about twice a week - both to soothe the pain. I realized two weeks after we returned from our Easter weekend trip that I had not needed to soak in the tub since March! I also haven't needed to use an ice pack since March. I still have pain every day, and I don't notice it feeling less, but it must, since I haven't been driven to soothe myself (or maybe I've gotten used to it, but I'd rather think it's decreased). The pain is usually in the evenings after dinner and more intense if I'm on my feet. I had not done the dishes after dinner in months. I definitely didn't do them when I was 9 months pregnant, and I never did them after Nate was born because I hurt too much to stand in the kitchen that long. I've done the dishes after dinner a few times in the past couple of weeks. Mbuyu (that is, my husband) usually beats me to them, though.

I'm encouraged that, in letting nature take its course, as I wait for my second physical therapy appointment, my pain has improved. But, seriously, 105 days is a long time to be in pain. Come on, therapy. Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment